When I moved to Austin, I had come from New York and had a number of professional soccer teams I could watch play within a few hours drive. Austin didn't have that, but had the energy of a soccer town. It just didn't really know it and neither did the rest of the world.
So on December 7th, 2013, I started a Twitter account called "MLS in Austin." It was the start of an advocacy group for raising awareness and lobbying the league, city, state, and potential ownership groups to bring a Major League Soccer franchise to Austin. It was also the start of the supporter's group for the club we didn't yet have.
The work also required convincing local soccer fans. There were fragmented groups of Premier League, Liga MX, USL, and other clubs all over the city, but they weren't unified, nor did many think an MLS club could ever come to Austin. But over time, "I" became "us," became a "movement," became an irresistible force against those who would try to deny Austin a soccer team.
- February 21st, 2017: I published a speculative piece that Austin may not get a team through the typical expansion process. The league and others notice.
- October 16th, 2017: It was announced that an ownership group was indeed interested in Austin. Our work had not only help solidify their case to want to come to this market, but we actively led the community in support of it.
- September 29th, 2018: With confidence that Austin FC, MLS in Austin became "Austin Anthem" – a much better name for the supporters group of Austin FC
- January 15th, 2019: Austin FC was officially announced at Major League Soccer's 27th franchise
- September 9th, 2019: Austin FC broke ground on their stadium at McKalla Place (now Q2 Stadium)
- April 7th, 2021: In partnership with Circle Brewing Co., Austin Anthem releases "Austin Anthem Ale"
- April 17th, 2021: Austin FC plays their first regular-season MLS match against LAFC
- June 19th, 2021: Austin FC will play their first home match at Q2 Stadium against the San Jose Earthquakes
Austin Anthem and I have been there for all of it. What a long, strange journey it's been and what amazing stories have yet to be told.
I've managed to build long-lasting relationships with the club, community, and other soccer fans. Austin Anthem has been at every moment in in club history. We've had the opportunity to collaborate and work on such things as stadium features, messaging and marketing, and designing features in the inaugural jerseys — one of which includes the Anthem's iconic grackle logo.
My goal was to have a local team to take my family to. My legacy is helping to bring something for the entire community to rally around and having two more organizations to support and give back to that community.